What are Counselling and Psychological Services?

Counselling and Psychological Services

  • Counselling is only for people who are depressed or suicidal?
  • I am not sure if I should see a counsellor…
  • Will my parents know I am seeing a counsellor?

What are Counselling and Psychological Services?

(Note: The term “counsellors” is used as a general term to refer to both the “Counsellors” and “Psychologists” in CEDARS-CoPE.)
  • Counselling and psychological services are not only for handling your personal problems and emotional/psychological distress, but also for exploring your potential, nurturing your adaptabilities, and developing coping abilities.
  • You will benefit from talking to counsellors, who will guide you to discover your personal attributes and strengths, and to learn ways to live a more fulfilling life.
  • The service is free for all part-time and full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students.
  • All information will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed to your family, friends and University staff without your permission.*
  • Common issues that students bring to CEDARS-CoPE include studying and learning challenges, adjustment issues, interpersonal relationships, personal development, emotional distress and mental health concerns (read more).
Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) - Counselling and Person Enrichment (CoPE)

Address : Room 301-323, 3/F, Main Building, The University of Hong Kong

Tel : (852) 3917-8388

Fax : (852) 2517 6394

Email : cedars-cope@hku.hk

Website : http://cedars.hku.hk/cope

Office Hours:

Mon to Thurs : 9:00 am – 5:45 pm

Fri : 9:00 am – 6:00 pm

Sat : 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (closed from 2 June to 4 August 2018)

* Information will only be communicated to a third party when you provide your written consent.  The counsellor, however, may disclose information if you are at imminent risk of harming yourself or others, or upon legal obligations, such as a court order.